Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Flint Lodge #23

Good Morning. I had the pleasure of attending Flint Lodge #23 installation of officers last night. The lodge had asked me to do the welcoming and explain a few terms and a little bit about the Fraternity. Most of the people in attendance were either Masons or family members.....but there was one man in the audience (an invited guest of the JD), who was the perfect age for membership. My whole presentation was directed at one man.........then it came to me.......that's what we need to focus on......one man at a time........sometimes we become overwhelmed when we talk about membership. The key is to focus on one man at a time.......the age old wisdom of how does one eat an elephant, one bite at a time.

Congratulations to WB Larry Wright and his fine staff of officers who were installed under the direction of WB Jim Williams. WB Jim always does a wonderful job of installing.

Anyone who has been around the Flint Masonic Temple during installation season knows Dennis. Dennis is a mentally challenged man now about 60 years old. He loves installations and the Masons. One of his great loves are the programs and pictures of the Worshipful Masters. Last night I arrived quite early and was eagerly greeted by Dennis in the lobby. Up on the blue floor I rustled up a deck of cards and sat down with WB Pete Crane, WB John Porritt and Dennis. As it turned out Dennis and WB Pete were partners against WB John and myself. Pete asked Dennis if he knew how to play to which he said of course, well he didn't know anything about Euchre. With a little help from myself Dennis and WB Pete whooped me and WB John with a score of 10 to 3. I am sure that card game will be a treasured memory for Dennis and it gave me a great feeling to know that we met him on the level and included him, it also gave me a fond memory which I will never forget.

No comments: