Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Forefathers....are we worthy?

There is something that has been on my mind for quite a long time, in fact I may have written about it before. If that is the case it bears repeating.

I had the pleasure of joining Freemasonry back in 1983, which afforded me the opportunity to meet many Masons who were legends in their own time and are still legends in local Masonic circles. Those men were true Masons and could always be counted on to assist in degree work, help a new brother with his lessons, encourage others to travel with them, and to be mentors to we younger brothers in the craft.

When I was around these brothers I took them for granted unfortunately. I suppose that I thought they would eventually be replaced by others coming up through the ranks. Knowing these men the way I did, I'm sure that they did not view themselves as legends in their own time and after.

There was something very special about those men who I met in my early days in the craft. They personified what a Mason was. They would whisper good counsel in your ear after a meeting to help clarify a word or correct some floor-work, etc. Many of these men created special relationships with the new or young brothers by teaching them and coaching them through their lessons.

Names like Durbin, Lyons, Malone, Hicks, Fredricks, Bishop, Love and numerous others. These brothers have gone to the celestial lodge above...but their memory and legacy lives on.

Who will the younger and newer brothers of today look up to? Are there any among us who are as worthy as these brothers were to be called a Mason? Will any of our work inspire any brothers to remember us 30 years from now?

There are many fine Masons who are very active currently. The shoes left behind by our forefathers are some mighty big shoes to fill, it is my hope that there are those who are wothy enough to dip their toes into those shoes. This is an amazing fraternity with some very amazing men.....I pray that some will continue the legacy of greatness left by those who have gone before us.

No comments: