Saturday, March 3, 2012

Nay more......

Nay more, with light added to the coming light.......

This simple two word phrase crops up in numerous Masonic writings. I've heard it over and over again, not only in the Blue Lodge but also in Scottish Rite. It's one of those archaic phrases which doesn't get it's just due.

The questions which one can pose about this little phrase consist of the obvious; what? why? how come?

It seems that this phrase like many others in our ritual is considered archaic or old-style English.

We are well acquainted with nay....he voted nay.....the nays have it.
Also more means in addition to....Johnny wants more ice cream.....we seek more light in Masonry.

In Masonic writings and rituals when nay more is used, it's an indication that what follows is more important than what has already been written or spoken. In today's English the word moreover is used in the place of our old friend; nay more.

One definition I discovered is;
  
nay adverb ( EVEN MORE )

Definition

formal used to introduce a second and more extreme phrase in a sentence when the first phrase was not strong enough
It is my pleasure, nay (my) privilege, to introduce tonight's guest speaker.
(Definition of nay adverb (EVEN MORE) from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus © Cambridge University Press)
 
 
 
Take note of the word formal, I would say that the apron presentation is probably one of the most formal parts of the Entered Apprentice degree. So when the phrase is used....nay more with light added to the coming light your ambitious feet.....the next part dealing with the brother's future Masonic endeavors is definitely the more extreme phrase of that thought and teaching.

Brothers at times I wonder what to write about but then I get out and travel a little and listen closely; nay more, I listen seeking to learn and to be enlightened and some phrase, action, or word jumps out to the forefront. When a candidate takes his degree we always hear from a brother who says " You get out of Masonry what you put into it." My philosophy is that you get out much more than you put in. I am constantly surprised by the number of brothers who actually read my ramblings and discussions of words and phrases; nay more, I get back much more than I put in.

No comments: